Ontario & Quebec Windstorm & Tornado: Advice and information from Insurance Bureau of Canada

Ontario & Quebec Windstorm & Tornado: Advice and information from Insurance Bureau of Canada

In the aftermath of the windstorm and tornado in the OttawaGatineau area on September 21, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is reaching out with tips and advice for those who are affected.

“Our thoughts are with all those whose lives have been disrupted and whose homes have been destroyed by the windstorm or tornado,” said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.

The City of Ottawa has set-up Emergency Support Centres at the following locations:

  • West Carleton High School at 3088 Dunrobin Road
  • Goulbourn Recreation Complex at 1500 Shea Road.

Starting Sunday, September 23, IBC will have representatives at the Goulbourn Recreation Centre to help answer questions.

What insurance covers
Most home and business insurance policies cover damage caused by a windstorm or tornado. If residents have to leave their homes because of a mandatory evacuation order issued by civil authorities, most home and tenants’ insurance policies will provide coverage for reasonable additional living expenses for a specified period of time. Your insurance representative is at the ready to clarify the details of your policies.

The claims process
If you have been affected by a windstorm or tornado, when safe to do so, take the following steps:

  • Assess and document the damage. Taking photos can be helpful.
  • Call your insurance representative and/or company.
  • List all damaged or destroyed items.
  • If possible, assemble proofs of purchase, photos, receipts and warranties. Keep damaged items unless they pose a health hazard.
  • Keep all of the receipts related to cleanup. If you’ve been displaced, keep the receipts for your additional living expenses.
  • Ask your insurance representative what additional living expenses you’re entitled to and for what period of time.

Next steps

  • Once you have reported a loss, you will be assigned a claims adjuster. It may take some time given the number of people affected by the windstorm or tornado, but you will be contacted.
  • The claims adjuster will investigate the circumstances of the loss, examine the documents you provide and explain the process. Take notes during the conversations and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
  • Your insurance company will ask you to complete a Proof of Loss form to list the property and/or items that have been damaged or destroyed, with the corresponding value or cost of the damage or loss. You must sign and swear that the statements you make in the Proof of Loss are true. Ask your insurance representative or claims adjuster to clarify anything you are unsure about.

Anyone with questions should contact their insurance representative or for more information contact IBC’s Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.

Additional Resources
IBC.ca – severe weather
Preparing for severe weather

About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 126,000 Canadians, pays $9 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $54.7 billion.

For media releases and more information, visit IBC’s Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_Ontario or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC’s Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.

SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada

Looking for high risk auto insurance? Get an instant quote today from the High Risk Auto Pros.

Share with

Start typing and press Enter to search